Obituary for GOENS

Published in the Albuquerque Journal on Thursday July 21, 2005

Dale Wesley Goens September 8, 1916-July 18, 2005 In the calm and peace of morning, as the sun's golden rays began to fill the shadows cast from the mountain behind the Cedar Crest home, of Dale Wesley Goens. With his family at his side Dale went home to our Lord and savior Jesus. Dale courageously fought the long-term effects of prostrate cancer. Dale was the first born son to Elva Leranzo and Eva Massengail Goens. Dale was born in the town of Plainville, in Rooks County, Kansas. Dale's family later moved to the town of Horton in northeastern Kansas. His father worked for the Rock Island Railroad, Dale went to school in Horton. In high school Dale lettered in football and track. Summer months he worked on the Rock Island Line, doing track work. Dale's father bought him a guitar when he was a teenager. Music would become a life long connection for Dale. In the 1930's Dale was playing professionally in a western swing band in Enid, Oklahoma. He and the band played on radio station KCRC in Enid as well as the dance halls in the area. It was during this time period Dale met the love of his life. On January, 1, 1939 in Tonkaway, Oklahoma Dale married Margaret Miller. Dale and Margaret's first son Jerry was born on June 17, 1940 in Enid, Oklahoma. Dale was still playing music in Enid, the looming prospects of war caused Dale to end his music career. Dale left his family behind in Enid and went to Kansas City to North America Aviation Aeronautical School. After completing school Dale brought Margaret and Jerry to Kansas City. Dale went to work in North American's Kansas City, Kansas plant building B-25 aircraft. On March 5, 1942 Dale and Margaret's second son David was born. At war's end in 1945 the Kansas City plant was closed, Dale and his family moved to Portland, Oregon. The time in Portland was less than a year and the family moved back to Enid. Dale starting playing music again and was working at a music store teaching guitar and handling instrument sales. It was during this period of time in Enid that Dale build his own arch top guitar. Dale always had a love affair with wood. In Kansas City Dale built model airplane gliders and flew them in competition. His high school days he build various projects that were with him the rest of his life. In spring of 1949 Dale got an offer to work at Sandia Base in Albuquerque. Dale and his wife Margaret and two sons, David and Jerry moved to Albuquerque and later to Cedar Crest in August of 1949. While the actual location of Cedar Crest in the past 56 years has moved up and down North Highway 14, Dale and Margaret have made Cedar Crest their home for all these many years. In 1949, the road that was the route in and out of Cedar Crest was then, North Highway 10. A two lane paved road with little traffic. The peace and tranquility of the East Mountains and Cedar Crest was ideal for raising their two sons. In 1954 Dale and Margaret were blessed with a daughter, Linda Gail. Dale worked at Sandia Base from spring of 1950 till he took an early retirement in October 1971. With his interest in New Mexico big game hunting and his love of wood, Dale developed a side line business of making custom gunstocks for hunting rifles. Prior to his base retirement his gun business had grown to such a point that he had to either pursue it full time or give up the business. Dale achieved national and international success with his business; Dale continued his gunstock making business until November of 2000. At which time he retired from the gunstock making to enjoy his final years. Dale never totally give up his interest in music. In the early 1950's Dale and Margaret with two other families started a small community church as a Sunday school in the home of, Harvey and Wilda Fullmer in Tijeras. As the church grew it alter moved to a location on Frost Road, near the village of San Antonito. Dale led the congregational singing and with the guitar he made, played and sang the special music on Sunday mornings. Dale never relinquished his guitar, but playing time was more to his favorite radio station and music CDs. Dale was preceded in passing by both his parents; brother, Loren Thomas Goens; sister, Ruth Ilene Martz and son, David Wesley Goens. Dale is survived by his wife and life long partner of 66 years, Margaret; son, Jerry and wife, Susan Goens; daughter, Linda and husband, Rob Nezzer; daughter-in-law, Donna Goens; sisters, Norma Ruby Goens and Betty Louise Cogdell. Dale was blessed with five grandchildren and eight great-grandchildren. A Memorial Service will be conducted at Mountainside United Methodist Church in Cedar Crest, July 23, 2005 at 11:00 a.m. The family requests, in lieu of flowers, donations to the American Cancer Society or the Heartland Hospice Services in Albuquerque.

Email Obituary